What color is the shirt you’re wearing? It could be significant. The colors you wear, paint your walls, and use as decorative accents all have symbolic and psychological meanings.
Take a tarot class at the Vintage Cottage. Click here for our calendar.
- Red, the color of wine or blood, symbolizes passion, love, and sex. Red is also the color of Aries, the sign of the warrior, and Mars, the planet of energy and aggression. It can represent danger, anger, and alarm.
- Pink, a lighter shade of red, indicates passions that have cooled. Shades of pink and rose are soothing, calming, and symbolize acceptance, friendship, forgiveness, love, romance, peace, and harmony. Pink is associated with Taurus, the sign of comfort, and Venus, the planet of romance.
- Orange, like a blazing fire or a sunset on a tropical island, symbolizes the flames of desire and burning passions. Orange typically represents vitality and enjoyment, vigor, physical health, enthusiasm, and enjoyment. The color is associated with Leo, the sign of the showman, and the sun.
- Yellow, like the sun, symbolizes energy, clear thinking, and consciousness. Yellow is also the color of Mercury, the planet of speed and communication, along with Gemini, the sign of the twins. Yellow represents optimism, radiance, and brilliance. Yellow can sometimes symbolize cowardice and weakness.
- Green is the color of nature, growth, healing, and fertility. It symbolizes creativity and prosperity. In the United States, green is the color of money and financial success. Green can also symbolize envy, jealousy, and greed. Green is associated with Taurus and Libra, two signs ruled by fertile Venus.
- Blue, the tranquil colorof sea and sky, is associated with meditation and reflection. It also corresponds to Jupiter, the planet of luck and expansion, and Sagittarius, the sign of exploration.
- Indigo, like the midnight heavens, symbolizes cosmic mysteries. Lost in its inky depths, the color inspires contemplation, wisdom, spiritual realization, and cosmic wisdom. Indigo is associated with Uranus, the planet of revolutionary thought, and Aquarius, the sign of social groups and causes.
- Violet, the traditional color of royalty, symbolizes leadership and divinity, as well as luxury, wealth, and sophistication. It’s associated with Neptune, the planet of illusion, and Pisces, the sign of the subconscious realm.
- Black, the color of night, is linked to darkness and sleep, when our consciousness fades and our unconscious thoughts and emotions take control of our dreams. Black is mysterious. It can even be elegant and authoritative. Black is also the color of mourning, depression, darkness, and anxiety, and it can symbolize dark and destructive forces of nature. Black corresponds to Pluto, the planet of transformation, and Scorpio, the sign of life’s greatest mysteries.
- White, like the clouds, symbolizes innocence, pure spirituality, intuition and psychic ability. It can also seem sterile, cold, clinical, and easily marred. It’s often associated with the moon, the brightest luminary in the night sky, along with Cancer, the sign that’s ruled by the moon.
- Brown, the color of bare earth, symbolizes the potential of fallow soil. It can represent grounding, stability, and practicality. Brown can also symbolize poverty and dirt. The color is associated with Capricorn, the sign of earthly concerns, and Saturn, the planet of boundaries, limitations, and restrictions.